Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Digital Storytelling

 
http://karinebaghdasaryan.edublogs.org/

Digital Story Telling was first introduced to me at the end of my student teaching experience. My cooperating teacher was the most technologically savvy teacher in the building and thus passed on bits and pieces of this know how to me. Throughout my time there, students had been working on recording their Reptile Reports and syncing their voices with illustrations. What better way to make writers workshop meaningful? The students were writing for a purpose, and to them, this was better than being "published" in the traditional sense where their work is laminated and compiles into one classroom book. At the end of my time there, the class made me a digital story, with photographs of each child, accompanied by there voices giving a farewell message. These final products can be put on disk and copied for each child.
I loved the following youtube video depicting the process in a third grade classroon. The teacher narrates the "how to" video with pictures of her students and explains her process in terms that are very understandbale.




I have also been playing around with animoto and inserting my own pictures from trips or events. I have done this before in MovieMaker and played music along with the "movie" as I saw you could do in Animoto, but I am still wondering how I am going to record a voice without the use of a microphone. Students without these tools in their classroom would still be able to see their movie but I feel it would decrease the overall experience if their voices were not a part of the project.

 

1 comment:

  1. Brianna, please encourage everyone in the class to see the video you embedded. It is excellent for explaining the digital storytelling process and how it proceeded in the classroom the teacher was teaching.

    If you need a mic, I think you can borrow one from the media center at SJC. Just let me know.

    ReplyDelete