Thursday, April 19, 2012

Technology Focus

I found myself in an interesting technology situation yesterday. Throughout my Grad School career, I have taken enough courses to have a "focus in technology" along with my initial focus in Reading and Language Arts. When speaking to my adviser, I was told that I could only have one focus. Now to me that just seems wrong, seeing as I have taken the courses to satisfy both focus areas...but that is not the point. I was faced with deciding which path to take....technology, which is beginning to be a huge part in the classrooms or reading and language arts, which has always been buzz-word worthy.
Googleimages

googleimages
To stick with traditional or stretch for what is coming.. In the end, I opted to stick with my original Reading and Language Arts Focus. My reasoning for this was that technology is a constantly changing area. I could specialize in it now and it may or may not get me a job. But in 10 years, would it be as beneficial to be as R&LA in a job interview? Would what I learned still be relevant or would                                                  my degree be outdated?   I'm sure we will not just be blogging and skyping as we are  now. Why I can't have both I don't know, but in the face of making a decision, I felt that technology wasn't in my best interest long term.
                                                                 Thoughts anyone?

2 comments:

  1. I think R&LA is constantly changing, too! That's why professional development is crucial. Reading workshops are relatively new in the field, for example.

    Yes, technology changes at a faster pace, but I think what an interviewer would notice is that you have learned how to learn technology. And I think that is what is important.

    I probably would have made the same decision, though, especially because we are of a tech generation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figure I can explain that I took enough coursework to focus in technology but could only declare one "focus". I find that talking about technology in an interview is a plus. But you are right, I think any area that we pick right now will be changing rapidly!

    ReplyDelete